33, soon

This Sunday, I will turn 33. What do I have to show for it? If before or after this birthday I pass on to the afterlife, will people remember me for something worthwhile?

***

An "anonymous" reader left a comment in one of my other blogs, and here's a portion of it: " ...I remember the book I read, written by Mitch Albom, it said, 'So many people walk around with meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things...'

...The way you get meaning into life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." I entirely agree with the author. Do you?..."

***

Oh yes I do. For six years of my life I chased the wrong things. For six years I thought my purpose in life was to prove myself to others -- to show how good and talented I was, especially to my bosses. So I worked hard, spent long hours at work. And even when I was home, my mind was still preoccupied with work.

But the more I gave, the more work demanded. When I was supposed to be resting in bed because of a threatened abortion, I let my boss talk me into being fetched for work.

Then one day, I realized (albeit too late), LIFE has passed me by. Because I was "needed," I passed up rest and recreation when work beckoned. I neglected my health, getting little exercise and missing medical checkups. I rarely saw my friends, and had been half-absent through my son's formative years.

So one day, I took a leap of faith and resigned. And so at least, in the last 4 years, I have been chasing what I believe are the right things -- time with my family; financial independence that I could leave as a legacy; health and friendships. And while my responsibilities have increased five-fold, what I do now are far more rewarding and enriching.

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Why AnneThology?

Anthology means a collection of poems, short stories, plays, songs, or excerpts. My name is Anne, and this blog contains a collection of my thoughts, musings and writings (poems, short stories), some songs I like, plus a sprinkling of excerpts I find worth sharing --hence, AnneThology.

Did you know?

Anthology derives from the Greek word ἀνθολογία (anthologia; literally “flower-gathering”) for garland — or bouquet of flowers — which was the title of the earliest surviving anthology, assembled by Meleager of Gadara.

Look, what I have -- these are all for you.